Production Project Session 5

Game Competition edition

SUMMARY

Role

Lead Artist

Intention (SMART Goal)

My May 10th, as part of team 2 session 5, I will create a boss theme for lust using “HOW TO CYBERPUNK 2077 MUSIC

PRE-PRODUCTION – INQUIRY

Leader(s) in the Field / Exemplary Work(s)

Thee guys who made the music for Cyberpunk 2077 giving an interview on how it went

Training Source(s)

2:00 90-110 bpm Snare and kick, with hi-hats after 8 bars

3:23 To make the guitar sound use a simple guitar pluck with an distortion effect applied

4:22 To make a bass line add some notes that sound dark and edgy

8:30 Sawtooth Synths with lots of reverb are good for leads and buildups

9:00 random bursts of sounds and voice snippets can be good

SMART Goal Schedule

1. Implement the boss by April 15th.
  2. Have cutscenes finished by May 6th

PRODUCTION

SMART Goal Starting Point Evidence

Itch.io page

SMART Goal Ending Point Evidence

Slideshow

While this session I continued making sprites, I also started making music. My evidence is this slideshow is the soundtrack I made for the boss. I also worked on music for the title screen and main dungeon soundtrack

POST-PRODUCTION – REFLECTION

21st Century Skills

Ways of Thinking (Creativity, Innovation, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving)

As always, I had to overcome issues this session, but now, these issues were music-related. It turns out, I probably should have watched more videos on how to put notes together, and how to pick instruments that sound good together and make melodies. Through trial and error, I found repeating notes is a strong tool for making good sounds and makes things easier since you don’t have to come up with more notes.

Ways of Working (Communication & Collaboration)

Perhaps what I had to communicate on the most, was the boss. For instance, Lust needed a melee move, but lust doesn’t have a weapon or claws. Lust does though have wings. Thus I made sure to tell the programmers that Lust’s melee attack would need two hit-boxes so that they would not be surprised.

Tools for Working (Info & Media Literacy)

I had to learn a lot of SoundTrap to make some songs. For the first song I made, I didn’t know how to make notes shorter. These notes then were very long, and couldn’t make a good song for the main game. I instead used it as the title screen. I then learned how to shorten these notes (zoom in), and proceeded to learn even more about SoundTrap.

Ways of Living in the World (Life & Career)

This session was all about work, and I did a lot of it. I made a ton of sprites for the Lust, pumping out 2-3 sprites an hour. For some reason, I decided to give Lust some fancy gradients. Nevertheless, I made half of the lust sprites this session, while also making 3 whole songs for the game, as well as a title screen. I think I developed a good work ethic.

Reactions to the Final Version

Most of the feedback was to bugs, most of which don’t apply to me

1. Multiple hit swords
  2. Funky dash
  3. Moving beam
  4. Beam under other things
  5. Too big hitboxes
  6. Max health above 12

All i have to do is remake the dash animation

Self-Evaluation of Final Version

I would say under the S.U.C.C.E.S.s model, I did succeed. My sprites were simple and to the point, and I tried to make my music at least a bit unexpected, where it had common tunes but not any “chorus” part. Still not very sure how concrete applies, other than that I tried my best to give Lust consistent colors and proportions (though some animations require distortion of the wings). Credible doesn’t apply, next is emotional. Now I’m not tearing up when looking at my sprites or listening to my music, but I do feel a bit of joy looking at or hearing them, so that’s good. Lastly is story. I think the best example I have for this is the song I made for the floor, the one you hear through most of the game. I specifically added leading notes and bass notes so that they respond to each other as if they were arguing. So if I did work that does the requirements that apply, I would certainly say I was successful.

Grammar and Spelling

Grammarly

Editor

Bryce Roberts